Date:      Fri, 07 Mar 2014 09:51:38 -0800
From:      David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 10 RELEASE amd64 how to install on single drive with encrypted ZFS root?

On 03/07/2014 01:28 AM, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> The 10.0 installer does ZFS natively, which is why you can't find any
> instructions on how to set up ZFS manually on that platform.

Thanks for the reply.  :-)

I tried that, but ended up with a system that would not boot -- my BIOS
didn't think the hard drive was bootable.

> However, to set up an encrypted root, you'll need to set up the
> encrypted partition with geli and then set up your ZFSes on top of that.
> Which is basically a manual job.
> You can follow the instructions here:
>     https://wiki.freebsd.org/RootOnZFS/GPTZFSBoot/9.0-RELEASE
> except that after item (7) -- gnop -- you'll need to insert creating
> your encrypted partitions and then modify the subsequent bits to refer
> to the /dev/gpt/foo.eli devices you create.  As far as ZFS goes, the
> sequence is essentially the same for 9.0 as for 10.0 except that
> wherever it says to use lzjb, you should substitute lz4.

I don't have the knowledge or skills to accomplish the goals you've listed.

I'm looking for a console session I can study and type in, or a
walk-through for the installer.

David