Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2001 11:15:44 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
Cc:        Graham Lillico <graham_lillico@hotmail.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Filesystem Sizes

On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 08:43:41AM -0800, f.johan.beisser wrote:

> i would suggest making a large /usr, and leaving /usr/ports and /usr/src
> inside of it. when you're building the world from /usr/src, it drops
> everything in to /usr/obj/.. which pretty much renders it useless to
> separate it all out on to a separate filesystem.

Is very easy to make /usr/obj/ a separate fs. Even easier (and what I
do) is to make /usr/obj/ a symbolic link to a directory on another
physical disk. Usually the same as where I host /home/ncvs/ which is
probably also another symbolic link.

This way cvs updates from /home/ncvs/ drive to the /usr/src/ drive and
has two spindles seeking in parallel. Then when building /usr/src/ is
mostly read while mostly writing to /usr/obj/, once again two spindles
seeking.  "make installworld" once again pulls from one drive to write
back to another. Not that this complexity really matters but has been
10% to 20% faster the few times I've tried benchmarking.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net