Date:      Thu, 3 Jan 2002 08:06:44 +0800
From:      Trent Nelson <nelsont@switch.aust.com>
To:        Mike Poor <p00r0ne@digitz.org>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATI Mobility hell

On Mon, Dec 31, 2001 at 07:06:21PM -0500, Mike Poor wrote:

    Please attach your /etc/X11/XF86Config file as well as your
    /var/log/XFree86*.log the next time you reply.  Also, I'd remove any
    other XF86Config files you may have lying around in /root or /etc.

    Instead of ``ati'', try using the ``ativga'' chipset driver.  This
    driver has all accelerated features disabled.  Also, try reading the
    ``README.ati'' file living in the ~programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/doc
    directory of the XFree86 4.1.0 distribution.

    For example:

===
Section "Monitor"
    Identifier  "Sony PCG-FX210"
    HorizSync   xx.x-xx.x
    VertRefresh yy.y-yyy.y
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "ATI Mobility-1 VGA"
    Driver      "ativga"
EndSection

Section "Screen1"
    Identifier  "Screen 1"
    Device      "ATI Mobility-1 VGA"
    Monitor     "Sony PCG-FX210"
    DefaultDepth 8

    SubSection "Display"
        Depth       8
        Modes       "640x480"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubSection

EndSection
===

    Personally, I have my driver configured as:

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "ATI Mobility-1"
    Driver      "ati"
    VideoRam    8192
    Option      "AGPMode" "2"
    BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

    I use a colour-depth of 16-bit @ 1400x1050.  Works beautifully.

    Regards,

        Trent.

--
Trent Nelson - Software Engineer - nelsont@switch.aust.com
       "A man with unlimited enthusiasm can achieve