Date:      Fri, 31 Oct 1997 08:36:43 -0500
From:      Jerry Hicks <wghhicks@ix.netcom.com>
To:        Ruslan@shevchenko.kiev.ua
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD slogan/advert ideas

Ruslan Shevchenko wrote:

>   In reality, FreeBSD can not be concurentable ws NT,   we have few big
> problems:
At our shop, in reality, we get more *done* on our FreeBSD boxes.

>      1. bad java support
>         1. biss-awt won't work (on 2.2-stable)
>         2. port of latest jdk from sun is absent.
Java is another infantile disorder (see Dijkstra).  It's also from Sun.
For the first time in history, the entire computing industry is
preparing to embrace a proprietary, unstandardized, unverifiable,
incomplete language.  Blech.

If Sun chose to make the regression test suites public (they aren't),
then perhaps the library support would be better for all platforms, not
just FreeBSD.

Have you ever seen the Java source distribution?  Licensing terms?
Double-blech.

>      2. We have not GUI admin interface for FreeBSD,
>         so newbaies will preffer other systems.
Wahhh, write one. ;)

>      3. near 80% of using computers is databases.
>         we have not port of client software for well-known
>         commerce databases (Oracle, Sysbase, Informix)
80%? What is your source for that figure?  Faircom has an excellent
well-known commercial database running on FreeBSD, more appropriate for
many applications than those you mentioned.  Source available too.

>      4. We have not good c++ compiler.
>         gcc is great, but exceptions and namespaces are
>         very important stuff for c++ programmers.
>         And standart string class yet not well in 2.2-stable.
Even so, we really do get more *done* on FreeBSD than our other
systems.  There are enough people using and developing for gcc that some
critical mass has been reached.  It'll happen.  Probably way before Java
is complete.

We use RogueWave tools.h++ for commercial C++ apps.  Works nicely.

FreeBSD: No slogan required.  It's good.

Cheers!

Jerry Hicks
jerry_hicks@bigfoot.com