Date:      Mon, 07 Dec 1998 21:40:56 +0000
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        "Ron G. Minnich" <rminnich@Sarnoff.COM>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: write combining memory on pci

"Ron G. Minnich" wrote:

> Hmm, that is bad news. I have some cards from a company that only run fast
> with write combining turned ON. However, if they crash the OS with it on,
> it might not be such a good deal.
>
> Guess I'll have to use the cards as a master, not a target for PIO
> writes. As ever, the rule with PCI: don't get the CPU involved in data
> transfer :-)

Remember - this was with 'indiscriminate' USWC, you may be able to get away
with it if you can enable it for certain regions only... Maybe a trip to the
Intel website, or a look through the fastvid code (which will turn on Write
Combining + other bits for only certain areas might help)...

> something on order of at least 2x. It would be nice to have ...

Yeah, I also read it does the equivalent of 'fire and forget' for memory, i.e.
you can have overlapping multiple writes arriving out of order... OK, for
video - who cares :) ... But for other large memory regions? - Could be fun
;-)

-Kp