Date:      Wed, 11 Mar 1998 23:46:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      Bill Bixby <jzero@netcom.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Tim Moony <timm@uniqsite.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How come startx won't install

On Mon, 9 Mar 1998, Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Sun,  8 March 1998 at 21:15:18 -0800, Bill Bixby wrote:

> >> I've been using XF86Setup for prototyping X86.  Go to /usr/X11/bin and run
> >> XF86Setup and go through the steps, it sure beats xf86config.
> >>
> >> Don't worry about the high resolution, start from a working screen and as
> >> you experiences grow you'll be able to manually modify the
> >> /etc/XF86Config file.
> >>
> >> Good luck.  Eventually you probably want to try KDE interface.
> >
> > There is no /usr/X11/bin directory.  The install program won't
> > install the binaries.  :(
>
> OK, how about some more details.  How are you trying to install?  What
> happens?  When do you decide that something is wrong?
>
> Greg

Well, I'm trying to install X-windows.  But the binaries won't install
and the install program doesn't create the X11 directory mentioned
in the 'env' path variable.  I choose X-windows, I 'commit', the
install program runs for about an hour copying over /bin files, etc.
then it stops, asking me if I want to add some last minute packages.
I say no, attempt to configure X-windows from the install program,
and the install program says X-windows isn't installed.  Bummer!  :(  :(