Date:      Tue, 22 Oct 2002 18:20:10 -0400
From:      Scott Robbins <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problem with rxvt and termName

--OXfL5xGRrasGEqWY

I'm not sure how much information to give here.  Two machines, one=20
installed from a 4.6-rc2 CD the other from a 4.7 release CD. Both
updated in the last day, so uname -a gives the same output.  Different
hardware. The problem one is a Dell Dimension.

I use Japanese and have always been able to make it work by simply
calling a script that I call langx--so if I go langx rxvt an rxvt
terminal opens and I can input Japanese.  The script goes simply

XMODIFIERS=3D'@im=3Dkinput2 LANG=3Dja_JP.EUC ${1+"@$"} &

This enables me to, for example, open an rxvt terminal and then input
Japanese. =20

On the problem machine, it doesn't work. On that one, I have to specify
XMODIFIERS in my .Xdefaults.  I mention that in case it's a symptom.

The bigger problem is that if I have an entry in .Xdefaults
Xterm*termName: rxvt
then if I call mutt from a terminal it doesn't work--it opens mutt but
keystrokes don't do anything--that is, I can't switch mailboxes, I can't
even do m for mail. =20

The Japanese mentioned above doesn't seem to be a factor, since, when I
removed all mention of it, I had the same problem. I've tried in both my
usual Window Manager, Fluxbox and a vanilla twm. I've done various other
tests, commenting out each line in .Xdefaults.  If I try=20

XTerm*termName: xterm

then mutt works without problem, but no colors. If I try :

XTerm*termName: xterm-color

Again, I have the same problem.  I've tried comparing the /etc/termcap
entries for the two boxes but don't see anything different, though I did
it by eye, just looking at rxvt entries, so I may have missed something.=20

If I don't specify a termName then echo $TERM gives me kterm another
terminal that can input Japanese, (but isn't on either box).

I've been googling and reading various man pages (term, rxvt, etc) and I
can't figure out what I'm missing here.  Sorry for the length of this,
but trying to indicate what I've tested.

The problem is only on the Dell Machine. I've used this setup on a
variety of machines in the last year or so and never had this problem.

It's a nuisance rather than a major thing--it just means that I can't
have colors in mutt while running X (I get my colors in console)

TIA

--=20

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6

 Cordelia: What's going on? Oh god, is the world ending? I have to
research a paper on Bosnia for tomorrow, but if the world's ending,
I'm not gonna bother.

--OXfL5xGRrasGEqWY

--OXfL5xGRrasGEqWY--