Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 2006 17:27:52 +0100
From:      Anton Shterenlikht <mexas@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   boot(8) - BTX halted

Hello

I'm trying to bootstrap the system using boot2 directly as described
in the Admin Guide (3rd edition, 2004, section 2.3) and in the man
page for boot(8), FreeBSD 6.0, dated 18/08/2005. However, no matter
which kernel I choose at the boot prompt, I always get "BTX halted"
error message with some memory(?) register values before.

Bootstrapping with loader(8) works fine, I can load any kernel.

What am I missing?

I use FreeBSD 6.0-release on compaq armada 1700 laptop.

I've read several reports when people cannot boot FreeBSD at all on compaq
PC/laptops. The recommendations were to switch from UDMA to DMA in
BIOS. As far as I can see with Compaq Setup for Portables, I use
DMA.

thanks
anton

--