Date:      Mon, 22 Nov 1999 18:54:57 +0100
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely.de>
To:        Stephen McKay <syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au>
Cc:        Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fsck follies

On Mon, Nov 22, 1999 at 02:57:39PM +1000, Stephen McKay wrote:
> On Sunday, 21st November 1999, Christopher Masto wrote:
>
> >On Sun, Nov 21, 1999 at 10:36:32PM +1000, Stephen McKay wrote:
> >> When the system came back up, fsck -p didn't like the vinum volume.
> >> No sweat, I ran it manually.  There were many
> >>
> >>     INCORRECT BLOCK COUNT I=<n> (4 should be 0)
> >>
> >> messages.  I assumed this was an artifact of soft updates.  The fsck
> >> completed successfully.
> >>
> >> Being paranoid, I reran fsck.  This time it reported a number of
> >> unreferenced inodes (199 to be exact), and linked them in to lost+found.
> >>
> >> It is this last item that bothers me.  When the first fsck completed,
> >> the filesystem should have been structurally correct.  But it wasn't.
> >> A third fsck confirmed that 2 runs of fsck were enough.
> >
> >Presumably you are using vinum for mirroring?  I have had to stop
> >doing so after trashing several filesystems.  There are some serious
> >bugs that allow the plexes to get out of sync; as reads from a mirror
> >set are round-robin, this can be very bad.

It should be the same reason as discussed on freebsd-fs about R5 plexes.
It never happened for me.
What did you done to crash the fs?

> No, I was just striping them (4 x 660 MB disks, 96 KB interleave).  Vinum
> had nothing to do with the problem.  I was just reporting all the facts,
> just in case.
>
> I think there is a fault in fsck.  Possibly it is because softupdates
> changed the rules.  Having run md5 over the good copy and the broken
> (power failure interrupted) copy as well as everything in lost+found,
> I can say that no corrupted files survived, and everything in lost+found
> was a good copy of some file or other.  So softupdates appears to be
> doing the right thing.  But fsck didn't fix everything broken by the
> power interruption.

Sometimes fsck tells you that it needs a rerun.
See /usr/share/doc/smm/03.fsck/paper.ascii.gz for details about fsck.
Are you shure that this was not the case?

--
B.Walter                  COSMO-Project              http://www.cosmo-project.de
ticso@cicely.de             Usergroup                info@cosmo-project.de