Date:      Mon, 30 Dec 1996 07:43:06 +1100 (EST)
From:      Andrew MacIntyre <andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au>
To:        Wolfgang Helbig <wh@helbig.informatik.ba-stuttgart.de>
Cc:        nadav@cs.technion.ac.il, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Re : FreeBSD gets stuck while copying installation files

On Sun, 29 Dec 1996, Wolfgang Helbig wrote:

> On Friday, 14 Jun 1996, Nadav Eiron wrote about a FreeBSD box
> getting stuck while copying between two IDE-Channels. (i. e. CDROM
> on wdc0 and /usr mounted on wdc1). I experienced the same difficulties.
> It seems that any concurrent uses of both ide controllers leads to
> a stopp of the system. This happens with GENERIC kernel 2.1.5, 2.2-Alpha
> and -current (of yesterday).

{...}

> Maybe the cause is the PCI-Dual-Ide-controller chip?
> On my motherboard the CMD PCI0640B chip is working.
                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^
This chip and the RZ1000 are now widely known for this problem, and its
not FreeBSD specific.

There is a web page around that provides info on confirming its existance
(sorry I don't recall the URL, but try searching on RZ1000 or CMD640).

I have this vague recollection that the problem has something to do with
a "prefetch buffer" - if your BIOS has a reference to this in its IDE
settings, you might try disabling it....

E-mail: andrew.macintyre@aba.gov.au    (work) | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au  (play) |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
Fido:   Andrew MacIntyre, 3:620/243.18        |        Australia