Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2000 23:19:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>
To:        Robert & Lori Parker <rolog@swbell.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I need help!!

On Tue, 24 Oct 2000, Robert & Lori Parker wrote:

> A co-worker told me about FreeBSD and how it can be used as a stable
> proxy.  However I cannot seem to find the place to download the disks
> to boot my machine.  He told me to download "boot.flp" and "kern.flp".
> I hope these are the correct files but if not please inform me of the
> proper file names.

Those are the correct filenames. You do need to have a working computer
in order to create the floppies. If you're using a Win/DOS machine,
you'll need the program fdimage.exe. If you have a unix or Linux
system, you can use dd. See
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/install-guide.html

> I could also use some assistance in the setup of my machine it's just
> a little 486/75 with 16 or 32 MB RAM, a 650 MB HD, two USRobotics NIC
> cards. One is for my DSL modem and the other is for my hub. Any
> assistance is greatly appreciated.

This should work AFAIK, though you may want to add some RAM depending
on what you plan to use the machine for. Sounds like you're building a
router/firewall/NATter...

One word of advice: on the installs I've done, I've found that the best
thing seems to be to install a fairly minimal system at first - source,
docs and binaries, but no X or other non-essentials. Then, once I have a
bootable system, I run /stand/sysinstall again and add the cool stuff.
Plan on eventually making a custom kernel (not hard, just follow the
directions).

HTH.

--
Chris Hill               chris@monochrome.org
[1]    Bus error                     netscape