Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2000 10:54:18 -0800
From:      "Jeremiah Gowdy" <jgowdy@home.com>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Printing, Burst Pages and sh=true

Thanks to the help of one of the subscribers to this list I have my
JetDirect Printer Hub Printers  working fine.  The documents print properly,
even through Samba.  My only problem is this.  After every print job, I get
the "burst page".  I've read about what this page is and that it's enabled
by default because of sh=false.  I've read that all you have to do to not
have this page print is put the option sh=true.  Now, I honestly can't
figure out why in the name of all that is holy, this option is enabled by
default, because I see people who WANT this option, would know how to go
turn it on, but rather this way people who DON'T want this option have to
search through several manpages before they even discover what this page is
called, much less how to turn it off.  Then we come to my problem.  I have
learned which option to set, either sh=true, or banner.disable=true, and I
have set those options, trying both, several times, in several different
orders.  Every time I print, whether it's via Samba or directly through lpr,
I get the damn burst message.  There is no way my company will tolerate that
kind of waste of paper.  We kick out hundreds of sales orders and invoices
daily.  I've tried restarting the print daemon, Samba, and even rebooting my
server :(  No luck at all.  Here is a copy of my printcap file, any help
greatly appriciated.

# @(#)printcap 5.3 (Berkeley) 6/30/90
# $FreeBSD: src/etc/printcap,v 1.10 1999/08/27 23:23:43 peter Exp $

charla1|charla1:\
 :lp=:\
 :rm=10.0.0.45:\
 :rp=raw1:\