Date:      Sun, 1 Mar 1998 02:41:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        karl@mcs.net (Karl Denninger)
Cc:        jb@cimlogic.com.au, joe@via.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: help - make world fails

Karl Denninger said:

> I'm still trying to find out where -CURRENT is right now in terms of
> stability and what does/doesn't work.  As a result this is pretty germane to
> me at the moment, but I don't have commit access and don't understand why
> those changes were made anyway (which means I wouldn't back them out without
> knowing).

I am NOT super-happy with NFS yet.  I have a regression and performance
test suite that I run before committing VM code (believe it or not), and
NFS doesn't pass a critical test (paging.)  It panics the system with
an infamous biodone error, and I will try to track it down tomorrow.

I am freezing the current state of my VM work, except for bugfixes,
and perhaps some threads or AIO things (which are not part of the
core system.)  Hopefully, we will be stable (with some anecdotal
evidence) soon, and I want to track (watch) the VFS layering changes
carefully.  All of the above will fill my available time.

I think that the system is very close to stable again, with the
NFS caveat.  Once I can solve the (very reproduceable) problem,
I will be much happier with NFS.  There are also some outstanding
bugfixes for NFS, which I am working with in my local tree...