Date:      Sun, 09 May 1999 16:37:16 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD current users <FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: bdevsw has changed its character

Greg Lehey wrote:
> On Sunday,  9 May 1999 at 16:15:51 +0800, Peter Wemm wrote:
> > Greg Lehey wrote:
> >> A day or so ago, bdevsw changed from being an array of struct cdevsws
> >> to an inline function.  That's not a problem in itself: do a make
> >> world and all will be well.  It does, however, mean that klds which
> >> were compiled before the change will no longer load.  I had a report
> >> today of one person who forgot to do this, and his source tree is on a
> >> vinum volume, and he can't load vinum.  Beware!
> >
> > That isn't all..  If you are using kld modules, it is a Really Good Idea to
> > keep your kld modules compiled and in sync with your kernel while internal
> > interfaces are changing.
>
> Right, it was just pretty unfortunate in this case (and I heard of
> another one) that the person had his source tree mounted on a vinum
> volume, so he could no longer access it :-) If this happens to anybody
> else, there's a version of the vinum kld compiled this morning on
> ftp://ftp.lemis.com/pub/vinum/vinum.ko.

Which is why I use pseudo-device vinum :-)  But the risk there is that
the ioctl's change as /sbin/vinum is compiled seperately.

> > kget(8) also will need a recompile.
> >
> > People who are running -current for stability had better be damn careful
> > and be very selective about what they choose to run as a stable snapshot.
>
> I think the real problem is that the klds get built with "make world"
> and not with a kernel build.  How about changing that?  I've got the
> opposite problem on another machine: I did a make world, but not a
> reboot, and now my Linux emulation is broken.

I have a system in mind to replace config(8) entirely and will allow
flexible kernel and module building, but it's barely even on the drawing
board.  It will make sys/modules obsolete, which is the main reason why I
don't want code in there.  (The screensavers are misplaced).

I also have half thought about moving some particular kernel-specific tools
under this system, but I'm not at all sure about that.  On one hand, libkvm
etc could benefit, along with ps etc which are hightly kernel specific.
But it brings in a whole new set of chicken/egg problems.  (like, if the
kernel build supervisor is maintained by the same tool, then there will be
problems.)

> Greg

Cheers,
-Peter