Date:      Fri, 13 Jul 2001 16:37:46 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        Leo Bicknell <bicknell@ufp.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Network performance roadmap.

On Fri, 13 Jul 2001, Leo Bicknell wrote:

<reads through huge thread>

<decides just to reply to the original>

> Let's go through some new details:
>
> 1) FreeBSD's TCP windows cannot grow large enough to allow for
>    optimum performance.  The primary obstical to raising them is
>    that if you do so, the system can run out of MBUF's.  Schemes
>    need to be put in place to limit MBUF usage, and better allocate
>    buffers per connection.

Jiangyi Liu has been working on mbuf limiting code for the past week or
so.  What he has is pretty complete, I expect to get most of it committed
once Bosko gets back.

<lots of other things deleted>

There are tons of nice ideas presented here, but I'm going to have to side
with Terry on this: SLOW DOWN!  Socket scaling is good, but before it can
be discussed seriously, the code has to be written and it has to be
tested.  Once Matt finishes his code (or someone beats him to similar
code), it can be tested and the discussions can continue.

As for the whole thread on mbuf allocation and exhaustion:  Please end it,
it's a diversion from the topic at hand, which is improving performance.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack