Date:      Thu, 09 Dec 1999 12:26:16 MST
From:      "Adidas Boy" <binkieboi@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Firewall using FreeBSD 3.3

Dear FreeBSD Security,

I have a FreeBSD 3.3 Box that I have installed and I'm trying to
get a rather secure firewall up to help prevent against basic
attacks to our system. I have did some research and have installed
tcpd to only allow certain hosts, and disabled services that I don't
need to use.

What I want to happen is I'm going to have the Firewall which has 2 ethernet
cards one configured for the real internet of 205.1.1.x and then the fake
network of 10.0.0.x. I am going to put several web
servers and e-mail servers behind the firewall and then hoping
that I can have all the trafic route thru the firewall to help prevent
direct attacks to the servers behind the firewall. I'm assuming i could
somehow use natd and set some kind of static table that would be as follows:

real inet ip    fake ip behind firewall
205.1.1.1 -> 10.0.0.1
205.1.1.2 -> 10.0.0.2

how would i configure natd to do this static routing.  205.1.1.1, 205.1.1.2
would all be answered by the firewall.

then i would assume i would have to use ipfw to make the firewall more
tighter by only allowing certain connections on certain ports to certain
machines. so say for instance on machine 205.1.1.2 which was also 10.0.0.2 i
wanted users to only be able to connect to port 80 what should my ipfw
configuration look like? then i would need to have like 205.1.1.3 only have
port 25 and 110 available?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

I need your help please! please e-mail directly back to me.

brian