Date:      Fri, 16 Apr 1999 11:54:50 +0930 (CST)
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        crh@outpost.co.nz, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Jordan the Confused (Was: Jordan The Evil!)

On 16-Apr-99 Brett Glass wrote:
> >So you want to tell people who develop software to deliberatly reduce their
> >userbase
>  Sounds like you're pretty down on FreeBSD yourself. If you honestly
>  going to go around saying that targeting FreeBSD with a native port
>  REDUCES one's user base, then you are, in fact, disparaging FreeBSD
>  and in fact doing it a great deal of damage. It's statements such
>  as this one that are rapidly killing FreeBSD's chances of ever getting
>  near the mainstream.

Yeah, sure, try not to put thoughts into my mind next time..
A company is there to make money, so they will try to maximise their userbase,
telling them to make a Linux port is a pragmatic solution the problem. (That
problem being getting ANY software for your non-MS OS, let alone a native port).

> >when a) its not truly necessary because our Linux emulation is 'pretty
> >good',
>  "Pretty good" is not sufficient. The VENDOR must test applications for
>  compatibility, support them on the platform, and optimize them for
>  efficient performance. Otherwise, why use FreeBSD at all? Users will
>  go where the apps are.

How about you meet them half way hmm? They have limited resources too you know.
The 'it must all be my way' attitude makes its very hard for people to see your
point because its so confrontational.

>  What's more, it'll be harder and harder to emulate Linux as it grows more
>  complex. Emulation of another platform is a bad strategy and a losing
>  battle.

That may be so, but its more likely for us to get better emulation than for a
company to dive right into the deep end and make a port for ANOTHER free OS
when they're only getting their toes wet.

> >and b) we have no leverage to be demanging they do it anyway!
>  "Demand," no. Advocate, yes. That's what advocacy is about.

Sure, but it comes down to if they have the resources to make the port. If they
don't then they just won't do it, not matter HOW often you ask them.

>  There's no reason why such tools could not be developed. They should be.

Well, time and man power are 2 reasons I can think of.

---
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum