Date:      Wed, 14 Oct 1998 15:51:41 -0600
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
To:        "Christopher R. Bowman" <crb@ChrisBowman.com>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>, "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: filesystem safety and SCSI disk write caching

>Could we make this a mount time option, say if -wc to turn write caching on,
>-nowc to turn it off, and if neither flag is present use whatever the drive is
>already set for.

There is no facility to pass mount flags all the way down to a device
driver.  This also is not a per mount instance type of feature since
several mountable partitions may reside on the same device.  CAM currently
lacks code to modify mode pages and maintain those modifications across bus
reset and BDR events.  This could be added, but it would be IMHO lots of
complexity for limited gain.

--
Justin