Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 2007 16:01:59 -0800
From:      Colin Percival <cperciva@freebsd.org>
To:        Brian King <free.as.in.speech@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-update from 6.1 RELEASE to 6.2 RELEASE: directory creation caused failure.

Brian King wrote:
> I'm writing this email from a freebsd 6.2 system, but it was a rocky
> upgrade for me.
>
> I followed the process outlined at
> http://www.daemonology.net/blog/2006-11-26-freebsd-6.1-to-6.2-binary-upgrade.html
>
> to upgrade my GENERIC i386 kernel and userland.
>
> I had changed some configuration files, and when notified about it, i
> created a directory /usr/upgrade/newfiles and downloaded the
> appropriate copies of these files from the cvs into this directory.

Oops.

> # sh freebsd-update.sh -f freebsd-update.conf -d /usr/upgrade install
> Installing updates...freebsd-update.sh: cannot create newfiles: Is a
> directory
> rm: newfiles: is a directory

Yeah, you're not supposed to do that.  In fact, it never occurred to me
that someone would do that, largely because the FreeBSD Update working
directory (/usr/upgrade in this case) is normally /var/db/freebsd-update.
But since people upgrading from FreeBSD 6.1 don't have FreeBSD Update
installed as part of the base system (and thus don't have the "normal"
working directory) I added the flag to tell FreeBSD Update to use a
different directory instead.

> Suggestion for the developer: either permit directory creation in
> /usr/upgrade, or document that it's a no-no.

It will be documented. :-)

Thanks,
Colin Percival