Date:      Sat, 15 Feb 2003 12:57:20 -0500
From:      "Paul A. Howes" <pahowes@fair-ware.com>
To:        <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   A couple of 5.0-RELEASE bugs...

I think I may have found a few bugs in 5.0 that need to be addressed.

The first problem is with GCC, which means it may not be
FreeBSD-specific.  I build world and kernel with the CPUTYPE flag set to
"p4" in /etc/make.conf, then installed it.  Everything seemed to work
fine, except periodically "make" and "as" would crash:  make with a
signal 10 and as with a signal 11.  There was no rhyme or reason to the
timing.  I could re-run the same compilation with no error the next time
through.  On a whim, I removed the CPUTYPE flag from make.conf and
rebuilt/reinstalled binutils and cc.  After that, everything seemed to
work fine.  Just to be safe, I rebuilt and installed both world and
kernel without the "p4" modifier.

The second problem is related to the "NOMANCOMPRESS" flag in make.conf.
When installing the XFree86-4 port, I found that the "install" and
"package" targets would stop with an error saying that they couldn't
find gzip'd versions of the man pages.  Of course that made sense when I
specifically didn't want the man pages compressed!  I think some of the
scripts are not paying attention to that flag.

If there's anything that I can do to help further investigate either of
these, please let me know.

--
Paul A. Howes