Date:      Sun, 29 Jun 2014 22:24:10 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        Gregory Orange <gregory.orange@calorieking.com>
Subject:   Re: long string using find and "-exec ls -ls" to find part-of filename

=====
Of_Interest: With 27++ years  of service  to the  Unix  community.

On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 01:04:50PM +0800, Gregory Orange wrote:
> On 30/06/14 12:56, Gary Kline wrote:
> >how, using the find utility and no temp files, can I get a ls -lsi
> >listing of something like:
> >	"foo.tar"  andOr
> >	"foo.tgz" andOr
> >	"foo.tar.gz"
>
> How about this?
> find . -name foo.tar -o -name foo.tgz -o -name foo.tar.gz|xargs ls -lsi

	yup.  then WHY O WHY O WHY doesnt this work::

	find . -name "foo.t*" |xargs ls -lsi

	work?  is it only my memory [[delusional] that made me think that
	"foo.t*" expanded into your cmd string??  I thought the "*"
	expanded into what you have to save the hacker typing/keystrokes.

	thanks!

--
 Gary Kline  kline@thought.org  http://www.thought.org  Public Service Unix
             Twenty-seven years of service to the Unix community.