Date:      Wed, 2 Feb 2000 17:48:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Woodruff <jjw@us.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: controlling local boot sequence

This may seem like a far-out suggestion, but has anyone considered
replacing the whole idea of a sequence of startup scripts with a
concatenation of makefiles?  Consider something like this:

in file /etc/rc.network.m:
	START: network
	network:
		ifconfig ...

in file /etc/rc.named.m:
	START: named
	named:	network
		named ...

in file /usr/local/etc/rc.apache.m:
	START: apache
	apache: named network
		apachectl ...

Then, in /etc/rc or somewhere thereabouts:
	cat /etc/rc.*.m /usr/local/etc/rc.*.m | make -ik -f - START

The idea is that you list everything that you need running when you
start, and make figures out the right order.  Just like now, no files
need editing when you add a new subsystem.  If a particular thing
fails (say, MySQL), make won't start things that say they need it,
but still starts things that don't (see the -k flag).