Date:      Mon, 31 Aug 1998 01:41:03 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to PnP without booting -c?gy

Luigi Rizzo wrote in list.freebsd-multimedia:
 > > _once_, to enter the pnp data.  After that, the box should boot
 > > straight through when powered on (unattended).  Note that it
 > > will not have a graphics card nor a keyboard then.
 >
 > unless it can save the configuration back into the kernel on the nfs
 > server you need to reset the pnp info all the times.

It can (just as usual:  dset is called by /etc/rc), the
root partition is mounted read/write.

 > > I did a bit of RTFS, and it seems that /kernel.config is only
 > > read by biosboot, not by netboot.  :-(
 > > (Anyone _please_ correct me if I'm wrong.)
 >
 > netboot is the eprom code that only loads the kernel. I am not sure how
 > and when /kernel.config is read.

The biosboot code reads /kernel.config _before_ it passes
control to the kernel.  In the kernel sources itself I did
not find any code referencing the config file.

So this is my theory:  biosboot reads the /kernel.config file,
then hands that information over to the kernel when passing
control to it.  The netboot codes doesn't do this, hence it's
not possible to use /kernel.config when booting via the EPROM.

 > > Shouldn't it be possible to take the userconfig data (in
 > > particular, the PnP configuration data) and put it into a
 > > different kernel file?  I experimented with dset and "sysctl
 > > -w kern.bootfile=/kernel.new" and things like that, but it
 > > didn't work.
 >
 > not sure because the symbol tables are also read from the new file i think.
 > You'd need to tel "dset" that the pnp config is in the first file, but
 > must be written in the second one. Or, add a couple of options to dset,
 > one to fetch the pnp info from one kernel, the other one to write the
 > previously dumped data into another kernel. Not hard at all, if you
 > look at the #ifdef PNP in dset.c

Thanks for the hint, I will look at that.

 > > PS:  IMHO, there _should_ be a way to hardcode the PnP config
 > > in the kernel config file, as it's done for standard ISA
 > > devices, too.
 >
 > You can do like this. Since a copy of the kernel config file is usually
 > stored into the kernel, you can patch the userconfig code so that it
 > scans the copy and when it finds some magic string passes it to
 > userconfig.

Now that sounds like an ugly hack.  :-)

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany