Date:      Thu, 8 Jul 1999 09:35:29 +0930 (CST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>, security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Improved libcrypt ready for testing

On Wed, 7 Jul 1999, Eivind Eklund wrote:

> If we want to support protocol-embedded authentication data properly,
> we need at least the ability to store several different types of
> hashes for each user in the password file, and the ability to store
> clear-text passwords.

Storing cleartext passwords is easy enough - just define a minimal hash
function which base64's the plaintext, and null salt function.

I'll have to think about how multiple password hashes could best be
implemented - any suggestions?

> We should also, IMO, be switching our default password file format to
> SRP or similar - something that allow challenges against it without
> being the cleartext.

I have the SRP reference implementation working at home - it requires changes
to clients, though. This would probably best be integrated with a PAM module
talking to the crypt backend (such a beast exists already, but I haven't
tested it).

Kris

-----
    -- Unknown