Date:      Thu, 8 Apr 1999 00:18:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Markus Stumpf <maex-freebsd-hackers@Space.Net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: squid and FreeBSD (was: Re: Nice FreeBSD mention)

:"top" says
:
:  PID USERNAME PRI NICE SIZE    RES STATE    TIME   WCPU    CPU COMMAND
: 8542 root      2 -15   204M   177M select  60:27  0.00%  0.00% squid
:
:>From that point I would imagine that 256 MB RAM is enough to fit in
:squid and - with about 50 megs left - some other processes.

    I'm not familiar with squid.  Why is it eating 204M of VM?  If that
    is programmable, simply reduce it to 150M.

    FreeBSD can't give over all of its physical memory to a process.  It
    needs memory for kernel buffers and file caching.  It *especially*
    needs memory for kernel buffers in a network-heavy setup.

    Turning off swap in this case will cause the machine to lockup when
    it runs out of memory -- probably not what you want.

						-Matt

:	\Maex
:
:--