Date:      Wed, 23 Jun 1999 07:12:59 +0000
From:      Rod Taylor <dark@idiotswitch.org>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PR broken? was Re: Linux not FreeBSD?

On Wed, 23 Jun 1999, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Jun 1999, Greg Quinlan wrote:
>
> > Again yet another high profile company jumping in to bed with Linux.
> > I think FBSD needs a bit of PR work?
>
> Okay, so what are you doing about it, or is this a SEP?

I tried once to convince a small local computer store who had decided to do
pre-installs of RedHat linux to do a few other linux distributions as well as
atleast 1 bsd distribution.  I was ready to buy a couple of computers if they
did FreeBSD.

Their responce, was basically "They're not in the news much, so they can't be
very good products.  We want to sell the best to our customers".  Aside from
hte fact that their pc speakers are help in with hot glue...  They stick to
that principle.

Solution?  Make sure when people do big things with FreeBSD, they do atleast a
minor press release.  None of this Matrix stuff where they really don't want to
do one.   Somehow we gotta make BSD a buzzword.

By doing that however, we know that a bunch of lamers who don't know anything
and spend all their time in IRC asking where dir and copy went (aliased in
redhat) will begin to appear more frequently.  Can't ban them all....

--

Rod Taylor