Date:      Thu, 21 Oct 1999 04:50:25 +0100
From:      Jean-Mark Dupoux <jeanm@dupx.freeserve.co.uk>
To:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@ANDRSN.STANFORD.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing from dos  problem

I started  again by using fdisk in DOS to delete non-dos partitions and
re-start the floppy boot from scratch (not absolutely  necessary,  but one
way of making sure to make the right settings.)
I was very much hoping this time to finally  get round to a boot , after
setting only wd0s1 to "bootable" in the partition editor

> It seems that what you've done should be okay, but only the
> FreeBSD partition (in dos terms) should be made bootable.  It made
> your second FreeBSD slice the bootable one (or perhaps the
> dos extended parition) and that didn't work.

I put 40 mb for </>, 91mb <swap>  and 30mb </var> on wd0s1,   and  856 mb
</usr> on wd0s4 in the labelling screen.

> I don't know why you're wasting 160 megabytes on /.  Little
> happens there (except installation of new kernels and saving
> of the old ones) and it really doesn't need to be that big.

Unfortunately when it came to the install,  I got hit  by the same near
instantaneous  error message:

> "error mounting /dev/wd0s3  on  /dist :  invalid  argument (22)"

 followed by

> "user confirmation requested -  unable to initialize  selected  media.
> Would you like to adjust your  media  configuration and try  again
> YES/NO"

(A couple of retries  brought no improvement to the results).

As concerns stashing the ditribution files while re-arranging my  partitions,

>   While you redo this stuff, where are
> you stashing the distributions to install from dos?  Or are
> you resizing and moving?

that  is  in fact a point I was already close to raising myself, since it
might provide a nice alternative to the dos - partition method which has not
worked so far.

I understand that a system can be set-up from tape,  but from  what I could
see, the dist. files would need to be loaded onto  the tape initially using
freebsd
(or any UNIX ?) commands (or have I got this wrong?),  so that they could be
read back again afterwards.

Obviously the drive needs to be supported too,  but  I am not sure either
exactly here. The site handbook info makes it clear there are many varieties
of QIC devices (and at least as many cartidge types and sizes), and although
freebsd does support some of these, there is no list of specific  models.

The details of my 2 QIC tape drives are:

1 of 3.2gb H-P Travan drive on a (Iomega ditto-dash) floppy connector card,
which writes to dc3000 mini-cartridge  or TR3 1/4 inch

1 of  seagate 800mb parallel port drive
which writes to dc2010 mini-cartridge  or TR1  1/4 inch

Either drive should have enough capacity (based on space usage on the
hard-drive) to load a basic distribution on a single cartridge,  but  I
really dont have much idea of  how I could load the files onto a tape so that
they would be usable for an installation, since I have never used either
drive before except with  Windows or DOS  based backup programs.

Jean-Mark

ps
thanks  for all the help on this so far,  I really  wish  I knew  what was
going wrong myself.