Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 1999 11:37:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Stephen Krauth <stephenk@stephenk.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: .xsession path

On Tue, 28 Sep 1999, Stephen Krauth wrote:

> Ok, probably an annoying FAQ, but this is something I've always wondered
> about - what is the right way to deal with the lack of a proper path when
> .xsession is executed?

> 	It seems pretty kludgy to modify $path in .xsession

	Why? The fact that xdm currently does not deal appropriately with
login.conf stuff has been discussed
(http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=13614), but essentially xdm
takes over as the "login environment" so anything you want set in your
environment belongs there. I have been thinking of modifying my
.bash_profile to be more sh-like then just doing '. $HOME/.bash_profile'
in .xsession, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Either way setting
your environment in .xsession is the appropriate solution, at least until
the issues surrounding incorporating login.conf stuff into xdm are
resolved, and perhaps after that too depending on your view of login.conf.

Good luck,

Doug
--
"Stop it, I'm gettin' misty."