Date:      Sun, 08 Jun 2008 22:52:37 +1000
From:      Andrew Snow <andrew@modulus.org>
To:        Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org>,  freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: console access

Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> Supermicro IPMI cards are notoriously buggy.  A few of the system
> engineers at Yahoo! who I know continually bitch and moan about how
> horrible they are.  My advice: do not install the IPMI card which is
> causing your problems.

The remote KVM control feature was an important requirement so the card
is staying.  Luckily it uses the Intel gigabit NIC which seems to work
well in 7-STABLE, I have no complaints so far.  Every feature works well
except virtual media.

> Booting FreeBSD off of USB devices is known to be broken; see "BTX,
> boot2, and loader" section at the below URL:
>
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/JeremyChadwick/Commonly_reported_issues

Thats interesting - I regularly use USB sticks to boot freebsd as its
easier for installation on cluster machines/routers that lack CDROM
drives.  I've used it on, I think, half a dozen different
motherboards/architectures and its worked well on all of them, the
Supermicro box was the only broken one.

Because virtual media emulates a USB device I'm pretty sure thats why it
wasnt working - the USB problem, not a problem with the IPMI card.

- Andrew