Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 2000 09:36:34 -0500
From:      "Charlie Schloemer" <charlie@infoworks.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, "Manfred Usselmann" <Usselmann.M@icg-online.de>
Subject:   Re: DSL access with PPPoE

On 18 Sep 00, at 22:56, Manfred Usselmann wrote:

> I would like to provide DSL Internet access for the few PC's on my LAN using my FreeBSD
> server. According to the provider PPPoE is what I need.
>
> My question: Do I have to add an additional NIC to the server or can I just attach the DSL
> modem to the hub and use the existing network adapter for the LAN and the Internet?

I'm sure I'm not the most knowledgeable on this, but since I haven't
seen anyone else reply, here goes:

DSL providers will give you a DSL router, which sometimes is an
internal PCI expansion card and sometimes an external box.
Unless your ISP has written drivers for an internal DSL card to work
with FreeBSD, you want the external box.  (Otherwise, you may be
forced to run Windows 98.)

Likely, your ISP will give you only 1 IP address, so if you're going
to squeeze multiple boxes through this connection, you'll have to
perform IP masquerading of some sort.  Your DSL router may be
able to handle this, your FreeBSD can certainly handle this (and
it's more fun that way), but the topology changes depending on
which way you go: for the former, yes, you can just plug the DSL
router into the hub with the rest of your boxes.  For FreeBSD to
handle the IP masquerading, you'll need to install another NIC in
your BSD box, plug one into the local LAN, plug the other into the
DSL router via crossover cable (or use another hub if you have an
extra lying about).

Additionally, unless I'm totally off my rocker, I don't think you'll
need PPPoE for this.

If you can provide some more detail about your topology, folks on
the list can help you with the specifics if you get snagged.  HTH  :-)

-Charlie