Date:      Thu, 20 Jul 2000 20:52:48 -0400
From:      Jared Chenkin <chenkinj@voyager.bxscience.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org

In message <200007202035.e6KKZ9V14881@dna.tsolab.org>, "Dan Ts'o" writes:
>> Does su have some kind of a built-in nohup option?  If I su to root and
>> execute a command or shell script and then disconnect (ie, quit the terminal
>> software I'm running, which in my case is an ssh session) whatever I was
>> last running su'd as root continues to run until I manually kill it.

Random question, but do you actually log out or do you just close the
ssh window? I notice that very often users on my system simply close
their telnet windows and the process does not die (namely the shell).
It became a real annoyance when telnetd(8) would start turning away
successful logins, complaining that all ttys were used up.

>	I have noticed this too and have appreciated it as a "feature",
>though I consider it a bug. I am quite sure that is not the way original
>Unix worked. It may have to do with the way that process groups/privs
>are handling signals these days...
>	Why it has been nice is that I quite often start up backup jobs
>remotely which can take several hours and from time to time the connection
>is severed, but the backup thankfully continued. I realize I could always
>use nohup, but...
>	There should be a way to "reconnect" to disconnected jobs, much
>like in old TOPS-10, ie to reassociate controlling ttys to detached jobs.
>It is the I/O (stdin/stdout/stderr/ctty) analog of signals, parent/child,
>and job control.

I use screen(1) for things like this...build it in /usr/ports/misc/screen
Read the man page..its very useful and really cool :)
It allows you to drop screens and pick them up again later on by leaving
a named pipe in /tmp/screens/S-user.  They're small so don't worry about
filling up teh root filesystem either :)

>with "unsubscribe freebsd-stable" in the body of the message

Hope that helps!  Sorry about the blank email a sec ago dan..

Live Large,

Jared Chenkin
<chenkinj@bxcience.edu>
(AIM: DevNull24)