Date:      Wed, 5 Jun 2002 09:03:35 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Alexander V Zubchenko <stalker@hermes-comp.zp.ua>
To:        Eric Boucher <eric_boucher60@yahoo.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SQL question: how to find in all tables?

Greetings!

On Tue, 4 Jun 2002, Eric Boucher wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I have 2 questions for you guys regarding Sql (I have
> to say that I'm a total newbie in that field). I have
> search over the internet in some tutorials, but I
> didn't found the answer:
>
> 1.
> Is it possible to list every table that contains a
> certain name in a column: for example, suppose that I
> know that I have a couple of table which has a column
> named "USERID", I want to have a list of all tables
> that has this column in it.
Because tables list and tables structure is internal data of RDBMS, this
depend on which one You r using. In MySQL all this datas stored in mysql
DB in different tables. In PostgreSQL i didn't find anything about topic.
Mayb, i don't understand the situation, but in way of good design You need
to know what tables You r using.

> 2.
> Is it possible to list every table and column that has
> an entry, for example, if I want to know the exact
> tables and column where the word "toto" is listed.
And this of course depend on answer on above question.

> If someone can also provide me a link to a good
> tutorial if you found the information on the internet,
> it will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Eric

So, may i ask you for more details?