Date:      Sun, 25 Oct 1998 02:13:30 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Studded <Studded@gorean.org>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG, tech@cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: another record

>	As one of the members of the "cabal" that was responsible for moving
>the id games archive to cdrom.com I feel compelled to speak. :)  We've
>always been grateful for the support that Walnut Creek has provided us,
>and have tried to be good netizens with the promotion of our world wide
>mirror network. They've been very generous with disk space, time for
>administrative tasks, and other forms of support. At the same time our
>archive has always brought a lot of attention to cdrom.com, and we're
>still easily in the top 10 of the download stats, often in the top 5.
>Not to mention the cdroms of our stuff that they sell. It's been a good
>partnership all the way around.

   Often in the top 1. The main problem for us is that the games CDROMs
aren't selling (apparantly there isn't much of a market for game demos
CDROMs) and the people that the games archives are attracting don't seem
to be the type that would be interested in WC CDROM's other products.
Whether this is true or not I don't know, but it is the perception around
the company. I should also point out that it is a bit more complicated
than this since WC CDROM has always been willing to provide significant
resources for entirely non-commercial software and data, even when there
is no money to be made from it with a CDROM offering. The question is who,
if anyone, is making money off of us. There are, for example, several web
sites that point to files at ftp.cdrom.com and make significant amounts
of money selling advertising. You often can't even easily tell that the
download is being redirected to ftp.cdrom.com (all text that we put out in
the welcome message is gobbled up by the browser). Does WC CDROM deserve
some of this advertising money? I'm sure you'll find large numbers of people
on both sides of that issue.
   Anyway, I'm not trying to point out any bad guys in my comments; simply
that we seem to have a problem that needs a solution. It would be a shame
if we had to ban certain types of content due to our resources being gobbled
up unfairly. I personally want ftp.cdrom.com to continue to be considered
"the premier gaming site on the Net".
   Any further discussion of this should be done privately.

-DG

David Greenman