Date:      Sun, 1 Apr 2001 22:29:38 -0700
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "David W. Chapman Jr." <dwcjr@inethouston.net>, "Jason T. Luttgens" <lucky@lansters.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Network performance question

At 10:25 -0700 4/1/01, Mike Smith wrote:
>  > > FreeBSD kinda disappointed me. It gets ~1000 interface errors on about
>>  > 514000 packets. I switched the 3COM card out for a NetGear FA311 (sis
>>  > driver). After receiving ~310000 packets, the network goes down (can't
>>  > ping/telnet anywhere). At that point I have to ifconfig down and up the
>>  > interface to get it back.
>
>You're disappointed in *FreeBSD* because of this?  These are *hardware*
>failures you're describing here...

I am not convinced yet.  I have a number of FreeBSD 3.5-Stable
machines using the Netgear FA310TX boards that run with heavy loads.
Most of them currently have over 6 months since the last boot and I
never see the above problems.  I don't run tcpdump for long periods
because I don't have the disk space to hold it.  But it never seems
to drop packets.  I don't know the differences between the 310 and
311 boards.  The 310 uses the pn driver in 3.5 and the dc driver on
4.2.  I just am updating my test system to 4.2 and have not been able
to do any long term tests yet.
--
-- Doug