Date:      Fri, 16 Oct 1998 10:02:05 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Darren Whittaker <djw@sage1.sagecorp.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, john.young@openmarket.com
Subject:   Re: problem in 3.0

> On Fri, 16 Oct 1998, Mike Smith wrote:
>
> > > We compile on:
> > >  BSDI BSD/OS 2.0
> > >
> > > We link shared.
> >
> > Ok, sounds like you're being bitten by incompatibilities between our C
> > library and theirs.  The best way to work around this will be to link
> > static - your program will start and run faster, and as a bonus you'll
> > have a much better chance of running on both BSD/OS and FreeBSD systems.
> >
> > We do our best to maintain binary compatibility with BSD/OS at the
> > kernel level, but at the library level it's just a bit too hard.
> We just linked our code using static but they still won't work on the 3.0
> system.

That's interesting.  Building the code on a 3.0 system results in a
working binary, but a fully-static binary built on BSD/OS 2.x doesn't
work correctly?  Can you please file a PR describing this, and if
possible include a uuencoded standalone BSD/OS binary that demonstrates
the problem, as well as source for it?

It would also be interesting to know if the code built on a FreeBSD
2.2.x system and ran properly on a FreeBSD 3.0 system.  It may be that
this would be a workable migration path for you?

> We are concerned that our freeBSD customers are going to have
> problems with our working software when they upgrade from 2.x to 3.x.

At this point, you should recommend your 2.x customers to move to 2.2.8 in
November if they go anywhere, and then to the next 3.0.x release in
1Q99.  We would expect to be able to resolve this issue well before the
next 3.0-based release.

Alternatively, consider offering a FreeBSD native binary to your
customers; if the build on 2.2.7 works correctly on 3.0, this will give
you a stable platform to work from for some time.