Date:      Thu, 01 Jun 2000 22:40:10 +1200
From:      Craig Harding <crh@outpost.co.nz>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Punctuation conventions (was: cvs commit: src/games/fortune/datfiles  fortunes)

Mark Blackman wrote:

> I've not done any text analysis of e-mails to discern empirical
> usage patterns, however a quick poll of five of my British colleagues
> (I'm a "colonial") suggests that in Britain, two spaces is
> the rule taught in English and typing classes.
>
> I wouldn't be surprised to discover that a number of people
> writing e-mails these days a) completely ignore their teachers
> or b) never took any classes.

I did one term of typing in Form 3 (erm, age 13), where I was taught to
use two spaces after a terminating fullstop. When I started to use
computers in Form 4, I was able to continue to touchtype and use
everything I'd learnt the previous year - except for the two space rule,
which I ignored. (oh, and the correct finger to use on C).

							-- C.