Date:      Thu, 15 Apr 1999 22:43:08 -0400
From:      Lee Cremeans <lcremeans@erols.com>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Jordan the Confused (Was: Jordan The Evil!)

On Thu, Apr 15, 1999 at 07:12:14PM -0700, David Greenman wrote:
>    Jordan (via WC CDROM) has given thousands of FreeBSD CDROMs to academia,
> and many of us have worked hard to get FreeBSD into the coursework at
> various universities. It's really offensive to read accusations of complacency
> (or worse) about what we've done in this area.
>    I can't help but wonder if Brett (and others) have any idea what goes
> on behind the scenes, especially when it comes to Jordan's FreeBSD promotion
> efforts. Based on what I've been reading the last couple of days, it's clear
> that there is a tremendous under-appreciation or total ignorance about it.

All Brett sees is "Linux is beating us. I FSCKING HATE LINUX. Somethign
Needs To Be Done." He's doing the whole "beatings will continue until morale
improves" negative-reinforcement thing, and by this, he's spreading FUD and
apathy _himself_. Not everyone wants to see a raving zealot screaming "The
GPL sucks! Linux is lame! The End Is Near!"; the public, in general, tend to
write such people off as insane.

As for FreeBSD in academia, well, my using FreeBSD for almost 4 years, and
reading and posting to the lists, is a direct result of that. I first found
out about FreeBSD in mid-1995, when I was preparing to enter the Computer
Science curriculum at Virginia Tech. That was back in the 2.0.5 days;
FreeBSD was good enough even then to get VT to switch from DECstations
running Digital OSF/1 and Ultrix as personal workstations.

For that, at least, I figure some thanks are due; FreeBSD saved me from
having to use Windows 95 on this machine, and taught me a lot that even my
classes didn't do.

-lee