Date:      Thu, 4 Jan 2001 01:17:32 -0600 (CST)
From:      Nate Dannenberg <natedac@kscable.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ESS Audiodrive and 4.2-Release?

I've got this card (actually, it's integrated on the motherboard) working
using the following lines in my kernel config
(/usr/src/sys/i386/conf/FLUTE to be exact):

device          sbc0    at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x15
device          pcm

This is the ONLY combination of lines I've found so far that even allow
the system to detect my sound card at all.  With these lines in place, and
a fresh config/make depend/make/make install, the system detects the card
like this (output from dmesg):

sbc0: <ESS 688> at port 0x220-0x22f irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x15 on isa0
pcm0: <ESS 18xx DSP> on sbc0

....Which is just what it's supposed to show I believe.  My problem is,
now programs are only able to output in MONO instead of STEREO as they
used to in 4.1-Release.  Nothing has changed about my hardware, and these
are the same settings I was using with 4.1-Release.

Aumix does show that I have some control over the balance of the two
speakers, although it's Veeeeery coarse.

What happened?  Is this fixable?

--