Date:      Fri, 8 Mar 1996 12:54:33 -0600 (CST)
From:      Rob Snow <rsnow@lgc.com>
To:        "Jacob M. Parnas" <jparnas@jparnas.cybercom.net>
Cc:        jdc@xinside.com, Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>, robert@steffi.dgsys.com, questions@FreeBSD.org, bsdi-users@bsdi.com
Subject:   Re: Accelerated-X Announcement: Approved announcement

On Fri, 8 Mar 1996, Jacob M. Parnas wrote:

> I'd like to see a list of xstones with cards/OS/Xversion.  According to Matrox
> their Millenium with 4 MB and 32 colors on a Pentium 90 Mhz gets about 800,000
> xstones in 256 color mode (8bit) and 720,000 in 24 bit mode.  I'm planning
> on upgrading my Sun sparc 2 with a GX card that gets like 80,000, I think.
> I wonder what the new server would get with the same card on a 200 Mhz
> Pentium pro, which I intend to get soon with 128 MB of memory and a 4 GB SCSI
> III 7200 RPM, 8.5 ms average access time disk drive.  (I have 64 meg now).
>
> I'd be interested in comparisons between different machines like the Sun
> UltraSparc 1 and 2 with different cards and Silicon Graphics with the R10000
> and their high end graphics cards and the Dec Alpha.
>
> Also, I'd be interested in a comparison between the xstones of the same
> card on different OS's for the Pentium Pro 200 Mhz with different OSes
> like BSDI, Linux, SCO, Solaris x86, freebsd, netbsd, SGI's Unix, DEC's OSF
> and Ultrix, IBM's AIX on the RS/6000 and intel platforms.
>
> Jacob

I happen to have an Indigo-2 on my desk and an UltraSparc 1 Creator-3D
across the hall.  I've also got a couple of Onyx-Reality Engine 2's that
I could test on.  BTW, My SGI guy tells me that SGI's just do "OK" on
xstones since its only X calls and not GL calls.  BTW, We've got about
the hole smear of machines (SGI, Sun and IBM at least) if anyone wants some
numbers off them.

--
Rob Snow
Sys Admin & Bottle Washer