Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2001 22:36:35 -0500 (EST)
From:      Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
To:        Bill Fenner <fenner@research.att.com>
Cc:        <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>, David Greenman <dg@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Port survey can no longer talk to PASV-incapable ftp servers

> Due to firewall changes at freebsd.org, the port distfile survey
> can no longer talk to FTP servers that can't handle PASV mode
> (e.g. those behind a firewall of their own).  This will show up
> as errors like "425 Can't open data connection."

Will these changes impede package-building or the archiving of distfiles
for ftp.freebsd.org?  I would rather not do without your survey.  I am
sure users will be disappointed if packages disappear because the
distfiles for them cannot be gotten.  Perhaps the benefits of the new
firewall could be weighed against whichever of these drawbacks exist.

> I'm not really sure what to do about this.  On one hand, it's
> usually still possible to fetch the file using an active FTP
> connection.  On the other hand, increasingly many clients are
> behind firewalls which require passive connections, so servers
> that can't do passive mode might as well be considered unusable.

As it was, distfiles could be gotten from those sites and archived at
ftp.freebsd.org, where they were available as a last resort.  Also, those
distfiles were sold on CD-ROM to users who might have no Internet access
at all.  Those sites were usable, indirectly.

> Anyone have any opinions?

An FTP proxy that's outside the firewall might overcome any problems.
--
Trevor Johnson
http://jpj.net/~trevor/gpgkey.txt