Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 2001 18:14:26 +0100
From:      Mark Huizer <freebsd@dohd.org>
To:        "Jacques A. Vidrine" <n@nectar.com>
Cc:        Hajimu UMEMOTO <ume@imasy.or.jp>, Arjan.deVet@adv.iae.nl, rasputin@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org, stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-security@freebsd.org, darrenr@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPFILTER IPv6 support non-functional? (was Re: IPF and IPv6)

> > I heared from KAME guys that even though IP-filter has IPv6 code, it
> > doesn't work with IPv6 at all.  It is not only for FreeBSD but also
> > NetBSD.
>
> Can someone confirm whether or not IPv6 rulesets work with IPFILTER
> on FreeBSD?  I don't have an environment to test this at the moment,
> but I'm pretty sure this worked previously.
>
> By the way, if you are loading IPv4 and IPv6 rulesets, I think you
> must do something like this:
>
>    % ipf -I -Fa
>    % ipf -I -f /etc/ipf.conf             # IPv4 rules
>    % ipf -I -6 -f /etc/ipf6.conf         # IPv6 rules
>    % ipf -s
>
> I'd like to know before I MFC -DUSE_INET6 for the utilities.

I (and Guido van Rooij) had a look at this during a boring meeting some
time ago, but it seems there were a few patches missing in the -current
tree (something like the stuff in ipv6-patch in the FreeBSD-4.0
directory). But for the record: no, ipfilter doesn't work with filtering
IPv6 in the current setup in FreeBSD -current

Mark
--
Nice testing in little China...