Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2007 16:10:58 -0800
From:      "Kevin Sanders" <newroswell@gmail.com>
To:        "John-Mark Gurney" <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>,  freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "Streaming" data from kernel to userland

On 1/18/07, John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu> wrote:

> Kevin Sanders wrote this message on Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 17:40 -0800:
> > Ivan, I'm basically doing something similar, and I have found that
> adding
> > kqueue support to your kernel module and making ioctl/read/write's is
> very
> > efficient.  I'm a long time windows developer that has used I/O
> Completion
> > Ports, and I'm real impressed with kqueue api.  It was a little daunting
> > figuring out the kernel module side though.
>
> If you feeling like extending kqueue(9) to be more helpful, I'm more

than willing to review and commit patches for it.

I was able to add support by looking at code from if_tap.c, and recommend it
for it's intended purpose to other aspiring kernal module authors.  I would
help with kqueue(9) if I could, but certainly can't write from a complete
understanding of the subject any time soon.

Kevin