Date:      Fri, 17 Dec 1999 12:37:42 +0200
From:      Vallo Kallaste <vallo@matti.ee>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Weird story with dump | restore

On Fri, Dec 17, 1999 at 10:47:59AM +0200, Vallo Kallaste <vallo@myhakas.matti.ee> wrote:

[snip]

> It's very annoying, I have only fair experiences with dump/restore back
> to the 2.2.2 days until now.

Sorry for the long post and partially? false alert.

Something in my mind waked up and I checked what type of bsize and fsize
the other machines have. Now I remember a little discussion in the
cvs-all list, at that time phk committed something about default flags
for newfs or so and there was rgrimes involved into discussion. He was
suggesting following flags for filesystem creation for newer, bigger
disks:

newfs -b16384 -f2048 -u2048 -c128 -i4096

I've used them since with no problems whatsoever. Now I got the dump
done on the machine with default filesystem, the bugger is unusual
filesystem I guess. Is it expected behavior? Does anybody know why it
can't be done?
--

Vallo Kallaste
vallo@matti.ee