Date:      Mon, 15 Mar 1999 10:37:15 -0700
From:      Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@execmail.com>
To:        robert+freebsd@cyrus.watson.org
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ACL's

> I think hard links are neat, et al, but I really don't think they add any
> new useful functionality above symlinks, and they can certainly introduce
> new problems.  They save a little disk space here and there (as long as
> you don't recursive move anything)...

I beg to differ. Our mailstore product uses hard links extensively to
reduce disk usage when a message is delivered to multiple recipients.
In a corporate environment where someone mails a 50MB MIME message to
100 recipients, the ability to hardlink 99 of those copies makes a *big*
difference.

Hard links are a very powerful tool that can trip you up if used
incorrectly. Just like most things in UNIX can be misused.

--lyndon