Date:      Thu, 13 Dec 2007 12:13:36 +0200
From:      Nikos Vassiliadis <nvass@teledomenet.gr>
To:        Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mounted cd and tray locking

On Thursday 13 December 2007 11:42:00 Andriy Gapon wrote:
> on 13/12/2007 09:30 Nikos Vassiliadis said the following:
> > On Wednesday 12 December 2007 18:58:44 Andriy Gapon wrote:
> >> Hmm. Looked at the code and it should be as expected. Played with
> >> various stuff and here's what I think: it seems that having atapicam
> >> and hald and maybe something in KDE that polls for CD change is to
> >> blame.
> >
> > I have no atapicam in my kernel. Nor hald running.
> > I reproduced it like this:
> > mount /cdrom
> > cdcontrol eject
>
> I don't think you reproduced it. Why would you execute the above command
> unless it is your intention to eject the disk ?

You got it wrong. cdcontrol *does not* eject the disk, it works
correctly, as it should. cdcontrol never ejects mounted media.
It triggers the situation where I can then press the eject key
on the cdrom and really eject the cdrom.

> I am talking about something else, disk is ejected even if my cat
> accidentally touches eject button and he is not smart enough to type any
> commands on console :-) Well, I don't have a cat, it's just a figure of
> speech.

Nevertheless ejecting a mounted medium is wrong. And that's not
a feature. This is obviously a problem, regardless of how you
trigger it. Would you like to file a PR?

Nikos