Date:      Wed, 2 Jan 2002 11:08:28 -0800
From:      Justin C.Walker <justin@mac.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The Hurd

On Tuesday, January 1, 2002, at 12:31 PM, Miguel Mendez wrote:

> On Tuesday 01 January 2002 20:14, Rafter Man wrote:
>
>> So my question is: Will FreeBSD take a good look at the Hurd?
>

> I tried the Hurd in 1999 and wasn't very impressed, just downloaded the
> H2
> ISO but haven't tried it yet. The only thing that makes the Hurd look
> like
> Unix is the POSIX compat layer. The advantages of a microkernel vs
> (pseudo)
> monolothic are well known, as well as disadvantages. Of course I can't
> speak
> for the FreeBSD developers but IMHO there's very little, if anything,
> that
> can be taken from Hurd and imported into FreeBSD (or Unix in general).
> Yes,
> you can ran a BSD server on top of Mach (MacOS X) but it's not the same
> as
> Hurd does.

Just wanted to note: Mac OS X does *not* use this kind of OS.  Its
kernel is monolithic, in that all the pieces live together in the same
address space, and communicate via procedure calls, not messages.  Mach
messaging can be, and sometimes is, used between processes, and between
process and kernel [in some cases; BSD system calls are not turned into
messages].

Regards,

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large  *
Institute for General Semantics        | It's not whether you win or