Date:      Wed, 29 Jul 1998 05:13:51 +0200 (MESZ)
From:      Rainer M Duffner <Rainer.Duffner@konstanz.netsurf.de>
To:        Sean Harding <sharding@oregon.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What tipped the balance

On Tue 28 Jul, Sean Harding wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Jul 1998, David Wolfskill wrote:
>
> > As for FreeBSD... well, here at work is the only time I've used it.  I
> > still find PC hardware significantly more challenging than I think any
> > hardware has any right to be.
>
> I can certainly agree with that! At work, I admin Solaris and IRIX
> machines...There are, of course, difficulties, but the hardware is really
> worth the extra money, IMHO.

That depends, IMHO.
It's not only the hardware, also the software:
price of StarOffice4 for Windows: something around 400 DM
price of StarOffice4 for Linux:   nought ! zero
price of StarOffice4 for Solaris  almost 1000 DM

As a Solaris-user, I'd really feel, hm, well, you know....
But then, the SGI-machines (and the add-ons) are soo expensive, 1000 DM
+ or - won't hurt..... ;-)

> My only (personal) FreeBSD machine is one
> that I built from used parts for under $300...Actually, that's my only

If you spend that little on PC-hardware, you can't expect anything.
Really.

> A little extra $$$ for non-PC hardware is always worth it if you can
> afford it.

I almost exclusively use SCSI (Drives, CDROM) and fast RAM) this solves
many problems and creates new ones (cable-lenght of U-SCSI, termination,
external devices...) But the drives have longer MTBFs(x2) and longer
warranty(3-5 years+).
A better throughput also helps. I make world in just under 4 hours.

Sun hardware is IMHO almost unaffordable for non-corporate users.
SGI is even worse and there's little software for HP other then RDBMS
and some CAD-packages....
The 'little extra' comes out as several 1000 (or 10000) $$$.

> Now, we just need to get FreeBSD running on some better hardware, and
> we'll be set :-)

There's a FreeBSD for Alpha Project (don't know the URL off-hand).
If I hadn't bought a PC some time ago, I'd buy an Alpha soon.
The performance must be absolutely crazy !

cheers,
Rainer
|Rainer Duffner, E-Mail: duffner@fh-konstanz.de  |
|        &   Rainer.Duffner@konstanz.netsurf.de  |
|Fachhochschule Konstanz, Germany                |
|"What's a Network ?"  - Bill Gates, early 1980s |
|   WWW:http://www-stud.fh-konstanz.de/~duffner  |