Date:      Sat, 20 Mar 2010 15:15:35 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        "Gene" <fbsd@bomgardner.net>, FreeBSD-Questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AMD 64 X2 - Dual Core?

At 02:46 PM 3/20/2010, Gene wrote:
>Hi -
>I just got a board with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 cpu. I was wondering -
>
>1) Is the amd64 8.0 release the fbsd of choice here?

Yes.  8.0R is the way to go. However, you might want to bring it upto
date after installing it as there are a number of bug fixes and
feature enhancements since the release of 8.0.  The FreeBSD handbook
tells you how to do it.

>and
>
>2) Does it take advantage of the athlon's dual cores?

Both the i386 (32bit) and AMD64 (64bit) versions take advantage of
multiple cores.  If you have more than 4G of RAM, use the 64 bit
version, otherwise use the 32bit install.

         ---Mike

Mike Tancsa,                                      tel +1 519 651 3400
Sentex Communications,                            mike@sentex.net
Providing Internet since 1994                    www.sentex.net
Cambridge, Ontario Canada                         www.sentex.net/mike