Date:      Fri, 14 Jul 2000 09:23:40 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        stein@ife.no
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Intel D815EEA. Testing FreeBSD 4.0 on,

> > > - D815EEA with;
> > >         * Intel 82562ET 10/100Mbit/sec (nic) component.
> >
> > > The initial install went OK, and after the first reboot I noticed that
> > > it did not recognice a
> > > valid ethernet controller. I really expected it to see a  "fxp"  device,
> > > but no.
>
>       snip ...
>
> > Can you check the output of "pciconf -l" for the Ethernet function ?
> > Perhaps it is sufficient to just enter the PCI ID into the list of
> > known IDs in the fxp driver ...
>
> OK, see attached files.
>
> I tested a small change to the  if_fxp.c  just adding a new  if block:
> > #define FXP_DEVICEID_i82562   0x1132  /* New 82562ET device id.. */
>
> Built a new kernel, installed and rebooted. fxp0 was detected, however when
> I did a "ifconfig fxp0 <ipaddr> netmask <netmask>" the system froze.

Bill Paul and I went over the ICH2 datasheet yesterday, and it looks like
the integrated network component is not an 8255x derivative.  In fact, it
looks a lot like the old 82586 architecture, even down to the 16-bit
address registers. 8(

Until we can extract some more data from Intel, this device is going to
remain unsupported, I think.