Date:      Wed, 19 Feb 2003 17:50:30 +0100
From:      Lauri Watts <lauri@kde.org>
To:        Willie Viljoen <will@unfoldings.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        kde@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: aRts-1.1.1, FreeBSD 4.7

--Boundary-02=_ZX7U+koAo0Nm3En

On Wednesday 19 February 2003 17.30, Willie Viljoen wrote:
> Sorry, this may be off topic.
>
> I'm running KDE 3.1 compiled from ports, including latest kdelibs and
> kdebase and latest aRts (1.1.1).
>
> I used to have sound in KDE, but decided to turn this off as I was running
> applications that didn't want to go with aRts. These are now more willing
> to talk to aRts, but I can't get aRts to talk to my sound card anymore.
>
> The card is a Creative Labs SB16, I have it running with the newpcm and s=
bc
> drivers, and everything works fine other than aRts not cooperating.
>
> I have tried all sorts of tinkering with aRts settings, nothing helps.

Once you have it set up again, http://freebsd.kde.org/faq.shtml (question 1=
1)=20
will sort out any "aRts is hogging the soundcard" issues you had.

What kind of tinkering have you tried?  Can you look at the output of "ps=20
axwww |grep artsd" and show me the entire command line?

Mine looks something like tihs, these are fairly safe settings:
artsd -F 10 -S 4096 -s 60 -m artsmessage -l 3 -f=20

If you have no arts running, and you run this commandline in a terminal wha=
t=20
happens?

CC'ing the kde list, likely more input there.
=2D-=20
Lauri Watts
KDE on FreeBSD: http://freebsd.kde.org/